PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2015, 21:41
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COMPLACENCY. A worrying symptom in an air safety environment.

This subject gets done to death. It's a complete and utter bore off.
Yes, air safety is so tedious. Let's bury our heads in the sand and completely ignore it. This is only a professional pilots' website, after all. It should be preserved for spotter use only, shouldn't it?

If there was so much spare space that diversions could be handled at will,
Who is asking for this? Nobody is calling for a free-for-all. But there is certainly scope to accommodate some smaller types and executive jets if not the widebodies. It all helps. 'No Divs' imposes a blanket ban on everything.

Shed, NOTAMs always have the line "except for emergencies".
This is not news to me. I stated this in my own post. But do you think forcing pilots into a situation where they are obliged to declare an emergency is acceptable? I don't.

MAN should put first it's own customers / operation before considering diversions that can use other airports that do not have the same constraints MAN does (emergencies excluded).
And when those airports have already accepted their own diversion quotas and others report IRVR Touchdown 100M ... what then? Sorry ... our MAN handling agents can't be bothered?

It would be great if we could just drop this tedious debate about diversions or no diversions. Like the diversions themselves, it is going nowhere!
Yes, let's ignore safety issues and fantasise about new tails at MAN instead.

There is so much that's exciting and positive going on at MAN at the moment which does get talked about,
Really exciting things go on in the airspace overhead when the largest airport for a couple of hundred miles in all directions resolutely refuses to help out in a nationwide mass-diversion scenario.

there will usually be somewhere for a diverted flight to land, if not so convenient.
Usually, eh? The Daily Mail will really be interested in the one unusual flight which doesn't get lucky then! Do you know what happens when the fuel runs out?

I have to say that the complacency amongst some contributors on here is quite staggering. I hope that attitude isn't reflected amongst the professionals formulating operational policy behind the scenes at MAN. It seems that the general consensus on this thread is that MAN is indeed the only airport in the UK that is getting it right on this. The ops departments at every other major airport in the UK are obviously getting their priorities hopelessly wrong. DOH ... those incompetent fools running other airports, eh! What are they like?!!!