PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 16th Nov 2015, 12:30
R4H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 winged input

Never claimed to be part of a master race but here are some of my memories.

Taxiing - no problems. On ice and snow inboards to LSGI, outboards for left and right or reverse for slow. Could be done with outboards also at LSGI if careful.

Take-off no problem. Tac take-off obstacle or strip limiting slightly longer pull than expected. EFATO on outboard engine tac t/o obstacle limiting - large but smooth input of rudder while lowering nose and reducing power slightly on asymmetric live. Be quick but smooth. Lots of practice in sim. Had one LHS, after several practices start to anticipate rudder input so failed the other outboard on next go. Fin Stall and very rapid loss of control!

Climb and normal route cruise - if no autopilot - no problem by day big horizon. By night a bit tiring after a couple of hours using artificial horizon.

Low level - just like a big Jet Provost. Light, well coordinated and responsive controls up to around 210kt. Above 210kt quite easy to pull to overstress. Aircrew manual didn’t allow rolling reversals i.e. starting roll one way then quickly reversing controls, presumably due to momentum of moving wings. Very slight pause at stick neutral then roll.

Low speed e.g. fighter evasion around 140kt 50% flap 45 AOB and manoeuvering. Gentle inputs and a bit more rudder co-ordination needed especially at initial roll input. Very good turn radius and rate. Not much could turn with us and track. Gentle vertical changes and use of power could give a reasonable yoyo. Aim was to force low speed high turn rate tight turning fight. If a late sighting could use a “wingover” to negate firing solution - climb power while pitching to 20-30 degrees nose up, then 60 degree AOB, relax back pressure to start nose coming down then power idle. Choose dive angle and power up if speed needed or keep power down while levelling, 50 flap and into turning fight.

3 engine approach and landing or overshoot - no problem. 2 engine approach and landing - no problem. (John Stapp showed me how to use lots of power on inboard asymmetric then just use outboard asymmetric for speed control - not standard but easy to fly). 2 engine overshoot, gentle handling. When starting overshoot 5 degree AOB to live and dive was the mantra. AOB to validate Vmca2 and dive to aid acceleration then ease into climb. (Seats and straps were obviously designed for 6ft plus Texans wearing backpack chute. Had a smaller stature guy who obviously couldn't cinch lapstrap fully tight. Wasn't obvious until 2 engine overshoot. Controlled it but was up against lapstrap about an inch above his cushion while maintaining rudder forces!)

Asymmetric rollout. The lower the IAS when selecting GI the better. If possible choose runway to give any crosswind component from the deadside to help negate any induced swing or yaw on selecting GI. During training I wouldn’t let them do this and would choose which engine to shut down to give crosswind on worst side in order to demo that it was no problem if you allowed IAS to reduce before selecting GI. Just look well ahead then GI and use rudder to keep straight. Easy to maintain centreline every time. Abort with an engine shutdown same applied, selecting GI, adverse crosswind, outboard shutdown - look well ahead and use controls in the natural sense to maintain straight. fairly rapid rudder input and a large aileron input. Just don't rush to get GI, pause, look, select.

Crosswind landing - the technique was to approach and land using a wing down technique to counteract crosswind. In thousands of hours I never managed this very well. Wind speed and direction changed during the approach and it didn’t seem natural. Crabbed approach, look well ahead at flare, push the nose straight at flare and apply wing down to keep straight- greasers followed. (Probably had best landings with large crosswinds or asymmetric. Doesn't say much for me but in Falklands my Co-pilot was called Bambi - as he was the best friend of Thumper!!!! We all have bad spells - but 4 months of it!!!!!! Didn't help when crew were already giggling on the approach)

Tac landings - no problem if flown correctly. Some guys would try to flare too early giving IAS reduction and a bit too much vertical vector at touchdown. it was effectively an assault landing. Fly all the way to touchdown with just a small check back before touchdown.

Close formation for flypasts. Well coordinated controls helped along with instant power response. I found if on left, flying from LHS easier although looking cross cockpit and if on right flying RHS easier. Less tiring both ways. Turn radius as No. 2 or 3 quite a bit different from lead. if on outside of turn easy to drop back at start of turn and then have to get back into position. If at start of turn you squeezed UP slightly if on outside or DOWN slightly if on inside it helped maintain position. (Remember one flypast at Lye when on the run-in, No.4 DG, OC 30 called "4 out, emergency engine shut down" Leader called, "OK, see you on the ground" N0.4 called "It's ok, back in". Cool, squeezed back, shut it down then got back into position on 3.