PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NG LED's and speed limitations/ops
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2015, 09:00
galdian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
737NG LED's and speed limitations/ops

Hi all

Apologies if already covered, any references appreciated as know "the idea" but can't find more extensive explanations.

T/O in VNAV mode
Above acceleration altitude VNAV will set 230kt until all flaps (more importantly all LED's) are retracted as the LED's (apparently) have a limitation of 235 kts.
Reference??
Asking as ONLY limitation generally used is 250kts when flaps out (1, 2, 5 degrees)...full stop!

APP in MCP mode
Accept (and use) Boeing procedure as "set flaps up speed, approaching same select flaps 1..." etc etc however IN THEORY there appears no restriction in selecting flaps 1, 2 or 5 at 250kts and maintaining that same 250kts??
Any further flap selection of course at a speed of 210kts or less.

Asking as a F/O with flaps out after T/O selected SPD INT and set 240kts (scared of 250 below 10,000' which in Japan creates a paranoia so severe that it virtually requires the changing of flight deck seat covers a couple of times a day to remove the brown skidmarks!), I suggested 230kts initially and all OK.
Later when I tried to explain I couldn't - at least referring to the "simplistic" limitations we are provided where it is just "250kts EOFS"!
I'm aware of the 230kts limitation for alt extension but that's a non-normal.

I know there's a reason why the "250kts" is not the full story...but I don't understand "why".
Any assistance appreciated.

Cheers
galdian