PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Allegiant fires pilot after ordering an emergency evacuation
Old 16th Nov 2015, 08:50
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unknown Airport Command RF 2 I'm telling you not to evacuate yet
That sounds to me exactly like an RFFS Duty Commander (or equivalent) identifying himself as requested, and at the same time displaying a remarkable, but not untypical, exaggerated idea of his own importance.

I have met several such, in the UK and Middle East, who believe that they call the shots on what a Captain should do next, as opposed to offering information to assist a Captain, such as "Your starboard main landing gear is burning fiercely."

This attitude stems from the fact that so far as the actual fire-fighting, and rescue from inside the aircraft, are concerned, they are in command. But it takes careful training to make them understand where the Captain's responsibility ends and their's starts, and some never get it.

It is also possible that this person's behaviour was affected by his awareness, and maybe personal experience of the operational standards of the airline involved.

The company's decision to sack the Captain would seem to be on a par with its management standards, ie crap.

Last edited by Capot; 16th Nov 2015 at 09:07.