PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paris Attacked!
Thread: Paris Attacked!
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2015, 22:18
tartare

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Following appalling events like this - it is frustrating to think that from a purely technical point of view, if they had the political will, a Western Alliance could probably eliminate most of the core elements of ISIS in Syria and Iraq in a couple of months of a combined ground and air campaign... if not quicker (of course - it won't happen).
Would that address the problem of extremists already among us?
Personally I think it would.
Lance the boil and the rest of the infection clears up.
With all due respect to previous posters - I think we often over complicate the issue.
This is not part of the `great game' or some sort of geopolitical war of ideas that's been maturing since the 7th century in my view.
These people are lowbrow thugs - they are not masters of social media or clever strategists, or masters of asymetric warfare at all.
We give them too much credit.
I think the real dilemma for politicians is equally balanced between war weary electorates not having the stomach for another ground campaign, and the question of what would fill the vacuum were they removed?
Hollande's act of war statements are clearly telegraphing some significant escalation in Syria - intensifying air strikes - maybe increasing use of French special forces.

Last edited by tartare; 14th Nov 2015 at 22:28.