PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qualified, with no-where to go - Last call for my career
Old 14th Nov 2015, 17:01
Andy_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started flying when I was 35. After a lot of stops and starts I finally got my PPL when I was 39!

I was then totally addicted; I bought a share in a C152 and flew the wings off it for a period of 18 months. I flew that to Italy, Corsica, France and all around the UK. Not hour building, I had no intention of doing anything other than just enjoying my shiny new licence and boy I enjoyed it. I learned to fly formation, aerobatics, did my tailwheel, bought a share in a TB10, then amongst three of us bought a Bulldog.

I was running my own small business at the time, enjoying my leisure time. I was well and truly hooked. I obtained my IMC rating along with my night rating...the trouble with flying is there is always another rating or qualification to get, something else to learn.

I was not happy doing what I was doing. I worked silly hours, with little reward. It got me thinking; could I actually do this commercially and earn a living at it?

Long story short, I suffered a breakdown in a long term relationship of ten years, I sold my business, for just enough to finance me to live whilst I completed my ATPL theory. I obtained my HGV licence which helped to pay a few bills by taking work when I could through an agency...usually night trunking.
I started my CPL course at the beginning of 2009, having passed my ATPL exams in December 2008. I had around 700 hours at this point. Making the small amount of money I got through selling up was becoming difficult so I had to take on more part time work to keep a roof over my head. I sold my share in the Bulldog, a very sad day indeed. That paid for a CRI qualification.

Selling my relatively new 5 year old car got me the funds to complete my MEP in June that year. I then got a full time office job to keep being able to pay the bills and keep the roof over my head. With some assistance from someone on here for who I am forever grateful, I started my MEIR in August 2010. I sold my beloved Series II Land Rover to assist in this.

The day before my IR Test I was taken ill and ended up in hospital. I blame it on living in a tent near the airfield for a month during the wettest August on record.

I had just about run out of money, having only enough to take the test and I finally passed my IR that October.

A lot of people said I was wasting my time, I would never get a job in aviation at my age.

I spent a lot of time making mainly speculative applications. The job market was not as buoyant then as it is now. Every month or so I would update them with my most recent CV. I recorded this all on an excel spreadsheet; all 3218 of them.
I got a sole airline interview in Gothenberg along with a sim ride; nobody was employed from those interviews, plans change rapidly in aviation.

I started part time with a local company in a MEP role, right hand seat, initially unpaid, using TOIL earned from my day job. I was lucky enough to also get a small amount of charter work in a Baron, a Seneca and a Cessna 303, as well as building time and experience on a Chieftain. I also obtained my FI rating, flying whatever I could, whenever I could.

Just before Christmas 2012 I received a call from one of the companies I worked part time for, offering me a full time role flying MEP around the UK, Europe, Africa and the Middle East. I would have to start in 2 weeks. Negotiating my way out of my obligatory 1 month notice period, I started there at the very beginning of 2013. I was 47. It's been a ball 8)

If you want it enough, it can be done. Whatever your background, whatever your situation. It can be frustrating, bad enough at times to sit and wonder why and what...but such is the nature of the beast.

Is it worth it? Only the individual can answer that. For me, yes it was. It still is.

If the above can be inspiration to some, then all is good. If it makes others think can I make those sort of sacrifices, that is also good. Just be sure it is what you want and then aim for the stars.