PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 13th Nov 2015, 09:17
Null Orifice

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
aa62 and Brian,

Yes, the major/heavy repairs were carried out by HAEC in HK, while the Base 2s were carried out by Changi ASF. Base 1s and engine/prop changes were usually carried out by 48 Sqdn ground crew.

As to the arrival of the replacement frame XV307 (one of the best at the time), I believe it was a substitute for either XV203 or 206. As I never kept a 'pretend I'm aircrew' logbook, I can't be sure if it was either of these!
I was the acting GE and inventory holder on the ferry flight of the aforesaid 'subbed' aircraft back to UK. This was due to a nasty crack in a vital part of the wing structure that was beyond local repair. The ferry flight was flown with severe limitations regarding the fuel load/disposition, minimum POB and was to be carried out in beautifully smooth, clear weather conditions only, none of that nasty turbulence stuff!
IIRC, the squadron cartoonist-in-residence, W---- R----- was the captain - if he lurks here he may be able to consult his captain's log to confirm my failing recollection of events.

Subsequently, I believe the Marshalls' team at Lyneham performed the magic fix.