PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it me or is this company procedure . . . . odd?
Old 13th Nov 2015, 02:23
oicur12.again

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it me or is this company procedure . . . . odd?

I have just joined airline number 6 on the bus as always and would like to get some input into an odd procedure they employ.

I know all airlines have these, this particular carrier is a good one and I aint complaining but it’s a procedure that really bugs me.

This is the only airline I have worked for that has no sterile cockpit during takeoff.

In fact, they leave the intercom open so that any cabin crew can buzz the cockpit any time in an emergency.

The topic came up in CRM discussion and all long serving employees agreed that they like the idea of having a crew member contact them at ANY time during the takeoff roll in case of cabin fire.

My view is that it would be virtually impossible for a new, junior, untrained and unbriefed cabin crewmember to call and convey a clear and accurate message in the time between 80 knots and V1. I can just see a high speed abort caused by dry ice!!!!

Most crews agreed that they would abort at any speed below V1 simply upon hearing the call from the cabin.

This is effectively deputizing a cabin crewmember to make the go no go decision, a call not even the FO is permitted to make.

Thoughts? Input.

I am open to suggestion.