PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Corbin and CDS Squaring-Up
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2015, 16:31
Chugalug2

Received 235 Likes on 72 Posts
t43562:-
Surely any broadcaster is going to be too left for some and too right for others?
Of course, you are absolutely correct. The problem is that the BBC presents itself continually as being both balanced and neutral, which as you so rightly say it can't be. No doubt it does so because it is funded by a compulsory tax, but that merely points up the contradictory nature of its existence.

I know it is one of our holy cows, along with the Archers and the NHS, but in these days of streaming via the internet and countless channels accessible via Cable and Satellite, the Beeb is no longer the monolith that it once was. The fact that it is so much admired around the world should give hope that it can indeed survive, nay flourish, on its own.

It isn't the Beeb per se that is admired so much as the products of all the creative people that it employs. They will still be around and in demand if it is privatised, and then the BBC can if it so wishes openly display its own political allegiances (probably of a Social Democratic nature I presume, so no doubt the Lib Dems would welcome that ;-). Even so they might well be advised to then curtail the number of women with U.S. accents that populate Radio4, and who are forever haranguing us about how we should behave as a society. That might pose problems for them, as I presume they are here because the U.S. doesn't want to hear from them either...