PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Study finds UK is second most powerful country in the world
Old 12th Nov 2015, 15:40
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Ok, joking aside guys....how EXACTLY can GB Plc "project" its military power?

Let's start with the RAF: Maximum a dozen modern jets with a reach of a 1000 miles perhaps.......mmmmmm

Now the Army: How are they going to be projected, then. What mode of transport will "project" them globally? I would argue they would struggle to get a battalion half way across europe before logistical line broke down.

Navy: What Navy. To be a global threat you need CARRIERS and Jets. We have neither. The rest of the entire British Navy consists of 19 (nineteen) warships FFS.

Nuclear deterrent: 4 subs, 2 at sea at any one time. 21 missiles each and each missile capable of wiping out half a city. BIG hitter here. The only hitter but I would wager everything that the Brit mil would never use it first and by the time Jermey Cordite thinks hard about defending us, he'd be in the bunker in High Wycombe telling his selected union members and CND that he was true to his word.....to the end.....when the first SSBN landed in London.

IF this self serving report was to draw up the list of global mil reach/power, I would suggest out of 149 countries in the world with such capabilities, we would be around half way, near, say: Saudi Arabia (conventionally).

Time to wake up and smell the coffee. Spend a fortune tweaking nuke's but accept that our 'clout' in the mil arena globally went out the window over a decade ago.

A decade ago, our economy was three times the size of India’s. Today it is barely 50 per cent larger. At current growth rates, India will eclipse us within another decade. It will eventually operate three aircraft carriers to our two, and churn out ever-larger nuclear missiles while we debate whether to scrap ours.