PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial pilot in Australia.
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2015, 14:31
gfunc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggest you have a good read of the current threads in the ANZ section of this site - although Australians like to whinge more than any other nation the general tone will give you a good impression of the state of aviation. Having left Oz 6 months ago, I can can say first hand that the outlook for up and coming pilots in Oz is depressingly bleak. GA is moribund as a consequence of the economy and a bonkers regulator - one of my former instructors has told me that it is the worst he has seen it in 35 years.

The Australian airlines haven't recruited low hours guys in significant numbers for a very long time, and from what I've been told (i.e. this is rumour I cannot verify!) even people on the airline cadetships aren't making it to the cockpit. A glimmer of hope are the whispers recently that Qantas are looking to recruit second officers in the near future - if this come to fruition I would be willing to bet that all the positions would go to ex RAAF guys and the expats with thousands of hours who currently work in Asia or the Middle East.

Please think carefully looking at the glossy brochures and don't rely on promises of job after training (unless accompanied by a binding legal contract) as some of the schools will tell you anything you want to hear to get you to splash the cash. My suggestion is that for the time being, if you want a great place to live go to Oz, if you want to work as a pilot, think about somewhere else.

G