PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK/GCAA Medicals
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2015, 12:32
awqward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a private pilot with current Class 2 EASA, FAA and CASA medicals and a long expired GCAA medical I recently went to a local AME who has all those certifications primarily to renew my FAA and EASA medicals (another year to go on my CASA).... I thought for an extra 250 Dhs I would renew my GCAA medical since my GCAA PPL is still valid...even though private flying here is now very limited to LSAs only it seems.... Anyway I left it 1 month too late for a renewal so I was told it would be treated as an initial (requiring a chest X-ray and drug screening)....so far so bad....then I was told that the GCAA rules changed in Sept this year and as a result since I was 1. over 50, 2. Male and 3. have a neck size of 43cm I would need to take a sleep study.... The AME referred to the new rules and said they make no distinction between classes of medical....so the pilot a 4 seat piston single in private operations is treated the same as an A380 captain....needless to say I declined to proceed and left with my new FAA and EASA medicals .... The bit that got my goat was that the GCAA apparently were trying to align their medicals with EASA....and yet I passed my EASA with flying colours!