PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naughty, naughty! Helicopter pilot's bridge stunt
Old 4th Jul 2003, 16:17
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another KOS
Sorry, when you said FAR 91.119 for helicopters (paragraph (d)) "did nothing to assist the industry in the US", I assumed you thought it should be changed.

Not listening? I asked a question because I wanted to learn. My 'impression' was based on what I read from American contributors to Rotorheads, a small amount of flying in the States over the years (incl. flying a news-helicopter around LA, but only for a week) and, when on numerous visits to the US, making a point of watching the reactions of people around me when helicopters fly over at low level. I was well aware of the National Parks issue, but I didn't know the problems which protesters cause generally in the US were as bad as you describe. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

As you may have gathered, I'm an admirer of the FAA's approach generally. I think FAR 91.119 is reasonable and sensible, not least because it credits trained pilots with the ability to make a sensible judgment - subject, of course, to the over-riding safety provisions/sanctions to which 3Top has referred if they make a bad judgment.

Please don't think I've missed your 'wrong message' / environment points etc. I believe the answer to the problem if there is one lies in education such as the 'Fly Neighborly' programme to which you refer, and not in more restrictive legislation.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 4th Jul 2003 at 17:37.