PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 11th Nov 2015, 13:40
zorab64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know 8Pieced is having/had a (short) break, having reviewed his systems knowledge but, having viewed-without-comment for a while, I can't let some of these remarks go, most particularly:-
... the two F PUMP cautions are still sitting in the 'Ok to have' area on the CAD!
I would offer that the expression "OK to have" is completely inappropriate for two F PUMP captions at almost any stage in a 135, particularly at night in a UK Police machine with an MLA/MRF that's greater than that which allows both captions to remain illuminated. I would also suggest that, given the possibility of fuel flowing from supply to main in forward flight, it's imperative that the FWD pump is kept on to keep supply tanks topped up in forward flight back to a safe landing - AFT pump is unlikely to be required since fuel won't flow forward once nose up landing attitude is selected.

In addition, anyone who acknowledges numerous red FUEL warnings, whatever other captions may be illuminated, must be needing to double/triple check all systems carefully, and quickly, since there's quite obviously something out of the ordinary.

My personal opinion is that the 135 has a simple & easy to manage fuel system with enough bells & whistles to allow for safe in-flight management if you know your systems, and practice drills. The Police environment has plenty of opportunity to include the TFOs into "Pilots" emergency drills since, whilst officially not crew, the aircraft invariably operates more effectively if they are treated as quasi-crew as a minimum.
Yes, the fuel system could possibly be more automated, at some expense, but with 3,000+ hours on type, I'm often glad for the sequence of reminders that help to focus other enthusiastic minds on leaving the job & going to find some fuel!!