PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Corbin and CDS Squaring-Up
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2015, 11:56
beardy

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
From the BBC report:

Asked about Mr Corbyn's refusal to use nuclear weapons, Sir Nicholas said: "It would worry me if that thought was translated into power as it were."
The maintenance and deployment of Trident is a military task. The decision to aquire and use it is political. The expression of worry is that the politicians may undermine and withdraw the deterrent. That is a political comment.

"Most of the politicians I know understand that and I think that, dare I say, the responsibility of power is probably quite a sobering thing and you come to a realisation, 'I understand how this thing works'."
I agree that this is an implication. But it implies that Corbyn and his ilk don't understand the responsibility of power and don't understand the principle of deterrence. (They may not, but pointing it out influences votes.)

For the record I agree with CDS's comments wholeheartedly, just not the platform he used. I fully support the decision to acquire and maintain a deterrent. I do not support Nuclear disarmament. But this would be a political decision based on best advice. CDS's thoughts and advice are for him to give to the politicians to help them understand the gravity, reponsibility and cost. He should not cast aspersions on the integrity, maturity and responsibility of the politicians in public. That way is dangerous. I recall the military rumblings over Wilson, not good.

Last edited by beardy; 11th Nov 2015 at 12:21.