PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHC-6 nose wheel
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2015, 11:33
TowerDog

SkyGod

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
It has been quite a while since I flew the Twin-Otter, can't think of any problems, design wise or otherwise.
I seem to remember a case in Alaska where ice on the tail may have contributed to a crash

I did all of my Twin-Otter flying in the Caribbean Islands where salt and corrosion was a factor. Some of us never armed the auto-feather system as corrosion in micro switches could cause problems, but not sure if that was old-wives tales or not. With the FAA riding on the "jump seat" behind the cockpit, I always armed the system as it was required at the time.

The Twin Otter is a great handling airplane with lots of low speed control followed by impressive short field capabilities and not difficult to fly at all, but YOU have to be in charge of the airplane: Don't let it take you off the runway and don't let it fly too fast or too slow on finale, be in charge and have fun with it. I am sure the Canadians have good training programs with good instructors so there should be no reason to not learn to fly it properly.

Last edited by TowerDog; 11th Nov 2015 at 12:57.