PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 11th Nov 2015, 07:43
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Concur with TC & DB and to add that, with eight years and more than 1500hrs and still flying the 135, there has in my mind never been an 'alright to have' caution and I would be amazed if anyone flew with that attitude.

As mentioned in the report on page 19, and something that I took a look at in our own SRP's covering the last couple of years, landing fuel levels are rarely at the levels where the pump cautions would have illuminated during flight, so it's not such a common action to turn the tx pumps off than we are being led to believe here, certainly imho not regular enough to be dismissed as 'alright to be on'.

For me it would be abnormal for the supply tanks to remain indicating full (47/43) all the time during a transit, especially with 200 kg total, which in itself gives me something to be 'aroused' about and looking at the gauges. So when in 8's scenario the Aft caution comes on, the realisation that both pumps are now off would be quite clear, not to mention the static main content indication. Do you really believe that a caution would be acknowledged during a transit over dark barren countryside, with not a lot else to think about, without looking at what that caution was for? I think not.

Is 8 telling me that I am the only helicopter pilot flying around thinking the old mantra that "If nothing is going wrong, it's just about to?"

Perhaps my own 'I learnt about fuel appreciation from that' has put me in a different mindset when I go flying, it's certainly different to 8's.