PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2015, 21:25
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...but it's BA that are providing the connectivity to the regional points in the UK !!!!!

I don't agree with RW3 I think the ship has sailed BUT if we are going ahead let's not throw out the main basis on which it is being sold.

ie connectivity to the region's and the tsunami of wealth which will wash over us.(..not)

It's BA that provide that connectivity not STAR.
Not quite as simple as that. The third rwy is "being sold" on many aspects and most realise how vital and badly needed it is. Domestic connectivity is just one, albeit an important one.

Only BA provide domestic connectivity at present since the demise of BD, but with a third rwy there will be other carriers. U2 plan to use LHR-4 for their future operations which will also include some domestic connectivity.

U2 are unlikely to be the only ones, would expect BD regional and BE to be present at LHR plus some of the holiday-focused companies. Many UK carriers and others would probably want a share of pax in the Thames Valley, the wealthy catchment area around LHR, and to be able to offer them an alternative to travelling accross or around London to other airports.

Plus there are the business travellers to/from the many companies (300+?) that have their headquarters locally, mainly because of proximity to LHR.

Star carriers do offer connectivity at present at LHR as do those of Oneworld and Skyteam, that's the reason the alliances are grouped together by terminal.

At the moment - but it doesn't always have to be that way. With the extra slots R3 will open up, I hope pax get better choice.
Yes, this will happen with with a third rwy. Slots will become available for free and the secondary slot market will disappear, allowing new carriers realistic access to LHR. 50% of the new slots will be allocated to new entrants.

Why? What's wrong with competition? Protectionism is not the right way to develop the UK's regional connectivity.
Indeed.