PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BREAKING NEWS: airliner missing within Egyptian FIR
Old 10th Nov 2015, 20:56
sarabande

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prada
that pivot point pic is v useful, thanks.

I am slightly confused, being more used to tiny simple planes. If I am wrong please enlighten me.

The jackscrew is the means of trimming the HS +/- by small increments, and would not be able to rapidly change the AofA of the HSs. The bottom bracket or trunnion of the JS must be linked in some way to the main pivot bearings further aft, otherwise the HSs could not articulate.

Large and speedy increments or decrements of the HS are generated by the elevators on the trailing edge.

If the JS- for whatever reason - becomes detached, the HSs will align (as you suggest) with the immediate airflow at the tail, and the trimming effect will be lost.

Would loss of the jackscrew (and hence taking away of trim) result in the PF making a quick reaction to re-trim using the elevators, and could this cause a full scale deflection + or- of the HS, unmoderated or even jammed by the broken JS ?

I'm trying to work out the consequences of a single point of failure loss of the JS.