PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 10th Nov 2015, 16:55
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Vasco

As soon as I saw Dean's photograph showing your dad I meant to make a comment, but our protracted house build is coming to a climax, yippee, and it slipped my mind.

What a great bloke Len Davies was! He was Nav Ldr when I arrived on 48 late '67 and became Wing Nav a few weeks later - a kinder and more pleasant man it would be hard to beat.

After Changi I only met him on a few occasions, the last being a 48 reunion at Lyneham in the mid-80s and I recall him saying that his son had also become a Herc' nav and was due to be route checked by Mike Eacopo on the following day. A year or two later Mike was a Flt Cdr on my son's Cranwell course, along with another ex-Herc guy, a driver I think, whose name has escaped me. My son went to "the dark side' and became a FJ single seat man.

Under coincidences, while holding for his pilot course he did a Herc' flight from Lyneham to Akrotiri and met his "Uncle Arthur C******' in Flt Planning.

Dean

Good to see you too and I hope to see you again at next year's centenary bash. A few new faces have put their names forward including another ex 4 Course nav, Dai Jones.

I did that Kathmandu trip almost 2 years to the day ahead of yours and took some slides too; I hope to locate those when our gear comes out of store on Thursday. I got back to Changi to find I had become a father, to the future FJ pilot, and Anne my poor 19 yr old wife had to go through the whole thing without me. I don't suppose fathers to-be would have been allowed at the birth back in '69, I even got bollocked by a stroppy young nurse for picking my son up. Perhaps being post-route sweaty horrified her!

AA62

I hardly took any photos in my short RAF career but will have a search soon - then I'll have to ask Coffman for help again!

PS

Why was 203 showing Air Support command and not RAF Far East as it had initially - as had all of the first batch, 198-209 inclusive?

Last edited by Brian 48nav; 10th Nov 2015 at 16:58. Reason: Addition