PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BREAKING NEWS: airliner missing within Egyptian FIR
Old 10th Nov 2015, 16:22
A0283

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@FDMII and FLO

Thanks for responding. Clear answers.

I take smaller steps though. Information gathering stage for this subject and certainly not trying to get to conclusions now myself. Let me try to rephrase my question.

We have two pilots who are capable and have the plane on AP1 in climb/cruise. All quiet and running normal.

Suddenly, there is, we assume, a rather violent event ... duration, not known yet, but most expect that it was (very) short ... hope recorders will answer that.

What are some of the options they have:

a. They both freeze,

b. They don't know, and subconsciously wait for more information or to get better orientation, or consciously 'they decide to sit on their hands'.

c. They discuss, think they know and decide:
c1 ... but don't have the time to act as events progress and they ran out of time,
c2 ... consciously decide to leave the plane in control,
c3 ... take action that can only be found using the recorders,

d. events are running so violent and/or fast that there is no time or suitable environment to think anymore, and/or action is not possible anymore (G-forces or ...),

We only know that they did not take action that in one way or another (see your posts) that disengaged the AP. And, neither did the plane hand over control back to the pilots based on its analysis of event(s) !!

All these options can be mapped on a timescale. So I want to try to get a feel and understand how much time they had available for a number of elements in these options. The shorter and the more violent the events the more precise the timing has to be in order to do a proper analysis.

Last edited by A0283; 10th Nov 2015 at 16:36.