PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 10th Nov 2015, 11:40
8Pieced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAD Caution and Dispays

In the obvious scenario which I have presented before in my first post, I BELIEVE:

At the time of LOW FUEL Warnings, there would be no F PUMP FWD or AFT cautions as the transfer pumps had been switched off whilst dry running iaw normal procedure.

On leaving the hover at Dalkeith the F PUMP FWD switch was simply forgotten to be turned on again, after having been dry running so there is no reminder caution appearing. This has happened once or twice in just my flying career, hopping between hover or slow speed flight and forward flight between tasks.

Once in forward flight the F PUMP AFT caution appeared as it was running dry then the F PUMP AFT switch was switched off iaw normal procedure (but forgetting that he had forgotten to switch the F PUMP FWD switch back on in Dalkeith). Therefore, as each pump had been turned off at a time of dry running, subsequent emersion in fuel does not activate a F PUMP FWD or AFT caution again.

Unfortunately the GNWEM/GXMI fault does not present a FUEL Caution either, which I'm 100% convinced, that if it had appeared the transfer pumps would have been checked and switched back on at that point. Remember that with correctly indicating supply tank indications, the supply tanks would have also dropped down from normal levels and this is really noticeable! Obvious in fact, and these clues would never be missed.

Every police crew I have ever flown with would question a caution, initially flashing until acknowledged, and wouldn't be happy with a caution or warning remaining on unless justified that it was ok.

I have had a ROTOR RPM warning come on intermittently in flight, then stay on whilst in flight. I was of course able to understand what was happening and justify to my passenger that I could continue the flight to land as soon as practicable. So I dismissed that warning as being false.

With the fuel sensor fault of GNWEM/GXMII, the supply tanks would show full at 90 kgs throughout. It is possible that the main tank sensors were affected also, I think they were probably ok, and in my scenario, even if the main tank sensors are working normally, the total fuel load at the point of LOW FUEL Warnings could have easily been considered normal, thus effectively backing up a dismissal of the LOW FUEL Warnings. Sadly, even a check of the transfer pumps may not have happened at the LOW FUEL Warning stage, as they had to be on if there was full fuel in the supply tanks - unless you had the GNWEM/GXMII fault!!! I have 100% believe in this course of events, but will never be able to prove it, and I know noone is able to disprove it.

At the time of the first engine failure, No2 Engine, there may have initially appeared a FUEL PRESSure caution as the last bits of fuel are being sucked up, so he may have switched on his No2 Prime Pump, or may just have simply gone for both anyway to be quick. But, according to first responder photos though, there was only the 1 switch on but we are not told which one.

Of course when the engine runs dry of fuel, ENG FAIL, ENG OIL P, FUEL PRESS, GEN DISCON cautions.

I'm suspecting by the time of the first ENGINE rundown, and dealing with that, a possible look at full supply tanks but still the same indication of 76kgs.....**** there goes my other engine......

Prove to me I'm wrong??