PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC135 missing in NSW
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2015, 10:55
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
A mere curious question: Is it legal in Austraila to matintan/repair your own a/c?

Over here in Austria (EASA colony) as a pilot you might be granted a permit to do ridiculously simple repairs to a helicopter, among them not(!) including oil change, let alone oil filter change. I'm positive that even then, you won't(!) be allowed to pluck out the bee the got stuck in your pitot.
I'm not sure but I think you may change the battery, but then, if it's secured by something with a screw, you might not. Anything else has to be done by an official workshop (CAMO).
E.g. not even the qualified mechanic working at such CAMO is allowed to "help" you with your chopper in his spare time over the weekend.

Thus importing the first EC135 to Australia would have one grounded at the next 100h (400h) inspection, would it not?

Maybe you could actually learn the ropes and be certified as qualified EC135 maintennance personnel, and assuming you'd purchase all tooling necessary (to repair damaged EC135 rotor blades, as Mr. Green did) would you be allowed to wrench on your ship and sign off maintennance slips?
Would EC be required to provide you with all maintennance documentation?

I think he did choose an a/c not suitable for his planned country of operation. He should have gotten himself a 109, if it had to be a twin.

Last edited by Reely340; 10th Nov 2015 at 11:25.