PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1 or 2 steering tillers?
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2015, 23:37
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TILLER (s) ?

The Avro YORK had a tail wheel and was steered on the ground by the use of the brakes, with a bit of extra throttle from No 1 or No 4 as required.

The A/P, driven by No 1, tended to pump the elevator about 40 times per minute... when it worked. The A/P controls were by the Captain's left hand. So durng long flights the two pilots had to swap seats- at cruising level, remembering NOT to use the flying controls as a hand grip. The two pilots might be on duty for 20 + hours, each hand flying for an hour at a time , some 8 hours each, on two sectors. NO FTL.

ALL T/Os and Landings were done from the Left seat - the four throttles were easier to reach and control from the left seat. ( A bit of a stretch from the right seat for those with shorter left arm.)

I had done my " LEGAL SIX " T/O and landings with the Chief Pilot. and was the least experienced F/O in the Company. I asked the Training Captain with whom I was flying "why me." He said that it because I used a sextant and could serve as a back-up for our Straight Navigator on flights across the Atlantic. The rest of the crew (N/O, R/O & G/E) told me that "If the Captain became ill- they would have to rely on ME ! "

LT