PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 9th Nov 2015, 17:40
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was on 48 I'm sure I never experienced more than 30-40 degrees of bank, which suited me fine! Not long after joining 30Sqn I was on a sortie that involved displaying at 4 different locations for RAFA shows - North Weald was one, Henlow another and maybe Sleap.
I was absolutely horrified when the skipper, a Flt Cdr, Peter Henley, put 90 degrees of bank on at about 300'. To my mind it was stupid and dangerous, but then that was back in the day ( 1970 ) when the Herc' was very much a route flying aircraft. I've no idea if PH was a QFI, but the only consolation was that the co-pilot, Chris Cureton was ex-Lightnings. I made a mental note to avoid flying with Henley again. An image that had stuck in my mind for the previous 2 years was the sequence of photographs in Air Clues, (or was it ASC Safety Review? ), of the Argosy in Libya that had gone in after the idiot flying it had decided to beat up the strip that they had just departed from and the wing tip struck a water tower.

Many years later while I was in Stornaway as a civil ATCO, Peter Henley, by then with Bae, brought a 748 in on demonstration for the Scottish Fisheries Office. His take-off technique had me reaching for the crash alarm as I was convinced he had put excessive bank on after rotating! I think he was a bloody show-off. He worked as a test pilot for Bae, without having done a TP course - I know because my son used to organise the annual tp get together at Boscombe.

The J*** B***** referred to above - was he the Staish that my old mate George Brown said was the most detested since F***** Y******?