PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skyuber... or how is this even legal in EASA land?
Old 9th Nov 2015, 16:52
Rhino25782

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm, going to search his luggage? Just taking him one way? From Holland by any chance?

Any private pilot in his right mind should have nothing to do with flying passengers they have never met before.

The same should apply to any passenger wanting a jolly with someone they don't know, regardless of their "claimed experience".

I would give it a wide berth....regardless of what the "law" says.
I just don't get all the negativity towards this.

There's tons of sites out there and the single most relevant problem in my view is that there is not one site that is good enough to create a critical mass to make it actually work on a larger scale.

I've used similar sites in Germany for a while and had great flights with people I would have otherwise not met. The negative arguments are the same that nay-sayers have against AirBnB, CouchSurfing, and anything involving stepping out there and meeting people.

Now, why do people compare this to Uber? Apart from the name, the comparison doesn't make any sense at all. Uber competes with taxis and that is a problem in some places such as Germany because you need a taxi license (compare AOC) to transport people from A to B on request and for pay.

Platforms that allow private pilots to advertise their seats on given flights to cost-share are not like that! They are to be compared with platforms where private folks advertise their free seats in their private cars to cost share - very popular, perfectly legal in Germany at least and a really cool thing (e.g. https://flinc.org/, blablacar.de etc.).

Now, I know those people who say "how could you step into a car with a complete stranger?" or how could you stay on the couch of a complete stranger (as in couchsurfing) but when you talk to people who've actually tried this, there are few who've made truly bad experiences.

I see it as a great way to share the things I do, in some instances to save money, and to meet great new people. And I fully take the risk to, once in a while, meet a complete nutter or two. I can always cancel the flight if I don't like the people who show up.

And the current EASA law has nothing against this - and that's a good thing.