PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BREAKING NEWS: airliner missing within Egyptian FIR
Old 9th Nov 2015, 15:57
fyrefli
The Analog Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lomapaseo
Sooting likiely associated with a free fall in flames while still attached to wing and later separated due to spin/spiral side loadings.

I believe the other engine which also shows up in the news videos is quite similar in completeness and ground impact damage.

Nothing of major interest except the suggestion of fire forward of the wing while the engine was still attached.

Incidently, I've never heard of a tail separation causing a fuselage break forward of a wing box but we'll see what turns out in this report as all will be revealed eventually.
You're not the first to make this observation (although you've made it in more detail than others). I've pondered whether it's possible for the aircraft to have entered such an attitude that the flames were behind the engines (behind in the sense of the usual direction of travel) but in a state or transition such that they ended up in front of the flames in the airflow.

Please excuse the question if it's daft - the aircraft I fly are two-axis, engine-less and their stability owes itself largely to me hanging under them!