PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR rumours.
Thread: SDSR rumours.
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2015, 15:22
Arclite01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teetering

Not sure that SDSR and Air Cadet Gliding futures are necessarily linked per se.............. but

I'd say if it's a winch based operation:

Future Air Cadet gliding could be available at:

RAF Cosford - not really great with an AEF there
RAF Halton - suited
Hullavington Airfield, Buckley Barracks - suited
Kinloss Airfield, Kinloss Barracks - suited
RAF Odiham - not really suited
RNAS Predannack or RMB Chivenor (TBD) - Both !!
RAF Syerston (HQ 2FTS)suited (obviously)
RAF Tern Hill - not really suited
Upavon Airfield, Trenchard Lines - suited
RAF Woodvale - not really suitable with an AEF there

and what about the South East of England ? - bin Kenley and there is no presence there at all.

I do agree that although the cost savings of closing a VGS are small, there are substantial savings from closing the associated infrastructure and land holdings of an airfield.

I would however point out that rarely does airfield type land attached to the Army estate (barracks sites) get released or disposed of as often they see it as a 'training area on their doorstep' - so on that basis there might be a cost reduction to one user but another picks it up and overall no real saving to MoD (although some installations may be demolished/decommed............

I can't see the Army giving up Abingdon Airfield, Ternhill Airfield, Hullavington Airfield, Upavon Airfield, Cottesmore Airfield, Kinloss Airfield, Leuchars Airfield, RM Condor Airfield, Merryfield Airfield etc without a fight for the very reasons I've cited..............

But you make valid basing assumptions for some future sites and also for cost savings.

Arc