PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Selection Question (specifically at EGNT)
Old 9th Nov 2015, 12:26
PositiveClimbGearUp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runway Selection Question (specifically at EGNT)

Forgive me for what may be a 'stupid' question, but I've searched the forum and other sources without finding an answer. Mods, please move this topic if you feel it is more appropriate elsewhere.

My query relates to EGNT procedures, but there may be a common answer that is equally applicable at other fields.

I have noticed that the preferred runway at EGNT is 25, somewhat unsurprisingly, as I understand that westerly operations are most common in the UK due to the prevailing winds.

However, when operating in conditions less than VMC, the preferred runway appears to be 07, even when there is no obvious wind component affecting this change. So even on a 'calm' day, by looking out of the window I can hazard a pretty reliable guess as to the direction of ops at my local airfield.

So what factors, other than wind direction, influence the runway in use, and am I right in thinking VMC/IMC is a major factor, based on, for example, obstacle clearance?

Any replies appreciated!