PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BREAKING NEWS: airliner missing within Egyptian FIR
Old 8th Nov 2015, 22:02
CONSO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking RE SUSIER

it almost appears that it could have 'peeled' off, front to back
RE MY A) scenario being unlikely. First I'll admit its like trying to pick flyspecks out of the pepper- but I'll try a simple explanation

While in your car at 30 to 50 mph stick your hand out the window- hold your palm down and level with the road ( horizontal )- you will note not much effort.

ADDED ; Note that structural tests of wings and HS essentially bend wings and HS 'up" until top surface fails- buckles under compression loads near or between ribs . For a fore and aft failure- possible perhaps with major overspeed as in a full bore dive - but available data does not seem to support that.

see for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0

I was at that test- and heard the detailed explanation of failure point- which was within a few inches of predicted and in buckling of the upper skin ...
END ADDED
Now tilt your hand palm up slightly- more effort to hold palm steady- as you rotate your hand towards palm forward 90 degrees to pavement , the effort to hold in place becomes significantly larger. [at 400 mph or so- you would probably break your wrist }

As of now- it is not obvious from avail photos as to how the front spar of the wing (HS) broke. If we assume it under the A) scenario, the fracture would likely be a tension failure as the front spar was bent back. almost ditto form the rear spar/or hinge.

If under B) fold up or down or somewhere in between, the tear would generally be from bottom up or top down.

That is why a close exam of the failure points to a degree we do not have available from photos is needed.

But a clue may well be in how the moveable shield seems to have broken which ** seems ** to be in an upward position as shown by the carbon fiber sgtrings being bent up ( or maybe by the way it impacted )

Thats about as close as I can come absent more detailed photos ( unlikely) or good shots of jackscrew position and breaking of pivot points.

Last edited by CONSO; 8th Nov 2015 at 22:17.