PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 8th Nov 2015, 16:04
8Pieced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Practical Example of Fuel Conservation, not always 203kg/hr!

I just looked back at my logbook and had a Police flight of 2:00, initial fuel of 450kgs landing at 91 kgs, 1 kg above my night FRF.

So I 'gained' to use the speak of a previous post, 47 kgs of fuel! So this is why I had said previously that with the fuel sensor fault like GXMII/GNWEM, the fuel showing in the displays at the time of the Low Fuel Warnings could be entirely reasonable to dismiss the low fuel warning as being spurious (especially if you didn't know about this particular fault, which this crew did not).

Actually, apart from the dashes between Glasgow and Edinburgh, there was the earlier portion of tasking where some of this fuel saving may have occurred, although not sure of the profiles and speeds flown initially.

My first aircraft where I had my 'both transfer pumps off' event described in my first post happened in an aircraft which interestingly flew left hand orbits, so if it had gone any further (I was ground running after having been flying) but with a fault like GXMII/GNWEM, I definitely would have got my 4 minutes ish between engine failures.

We now all fly right orbits, so for a start, we could remove the indentation causing the current supply tank fuel split specifically for right orbit police helicopters, but to serve both Police and Passenger Transport communities properly, can AH put my larger supply tank on the right side please? I'd rather not just accept 32 seconds between engine failures, can it be shifted further apart 'again' please?