PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Planned Rest Changes (reductions)
Old 8th Nov 2015, 15:55
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may well become a 'sticky' thread as one thing's for sure, the problem of manpower levels is not going away and will only get worse over the next 12 months. Accused by many for my rose tinted specs, this is one part of the worsening equation that I most definitely do not applaud. A colleague on the CRM team has been advised that all the B777 CRMI's will be de activated for Feb/Mar and possible through April due to the requirement for every available pilot to be flying. How desperate is that? A workforce of over 2000 pilots on the Boeing with 10 guys forced to the line. That's 0.50%! For those line pilots who think this will not effect them, think again. There will be no spare leave from now until June on the Triple fleet so not only will this impact quality of life, morale and general welfare issues, it will also provide a lack of harmony amongst fleets. Those on the 380 are unlikely be affected, other than flying the 'normal' 90+ hours a month, whilst the 777 will do the same hours, over harder routes with many more night turns and no leave.

What also concerns me is the long term effect of this backlog of leave. Many pilots now have the potential to go almost a year without leave. Not only that, but their outstanding leave will be added to the new years 'entitlement', providing some with 60 days of leave that they'll have little or no opportunity to avail of. Someone, somewhere is responsible and should be held accountable.

And I refuse out of principle to sell my leave. It's a contractual agreement EK, so stick to it! The very fact full leave can't be provided is evidence that more pilots are required. So, Increase the package until conditions improve, give pilots the leave they're entitled too, reduce their hours and let them have sufficient days off, either in Dubai or away from it. It's not rocket science but it will involve spending money and recognising there's a problem!

Harry

Last edited by harry the cod; 8th Nov 2015 at 16:27.