PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 8th Nov 2015, 15:01
Brian W May

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, had something similar with Andy L** who did a run and break over Masirah with a pull up and a 90° plus wing over.

He was showing off to the two ATC guys who travelled down to Salalah with us. He said 'Just like a Spitfire' - I said 'No, a Spitfire had a crew of one . . . '

The guy was an arse, I have no sympathy for those who whimsically overstress aircraft. The payment was often levied on someone not associated with the abuse.

Often, I've been accused of being a kill-joy, but the Hercules gave most of us enough memories without busting the very limits that were there for our safety.

I suppose my 'finest hour' was when I reported the Falcons Hercules for overstress when at Lyneham's Families Day the aircraft overbanked to in excess of 100°. There were a few 'private' chats going on, including veiled threats and aerodynamic explanations that a wing-over was part of a barrel roll which is 1 g all the way round.

That was flown by Jeff B***** whose strong suite was drinking several pints to everyone else's one especially when a kitty was being ran.

My answer was that presumably Lockheed knew that too and still imposed a 60° flapless bank limit.

Eventually, I had to drop it due to 'pressure' being applied. Just part of the world we live in I suppose.

I daresay this might attract incoming too. It wasn't all good fun . . .

Last edited by Brian W May; 8th Nov 2015 at 22:21. Reason: Gramma