PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue hiring
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2015, 10:27
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLovett
Just to give one example of whats happening, a FO of 14 years experience, lately on the 767 fleet, was only offered a SO position on the 380. A few, very few, others in his position got FO slots on the domestic 737 fleet. A nice reward for loyal service - not.
I'm one if those 767 F/Os now an S/O. 13 years in QF.

That said the cork is about to be pulled from the bottle.

Someone mentioned earlier that they knew someone who spent 18 years as an S/O then 2 as an F/O before command. My belief is that QF are about to enter one of those gang buster stages which comes along rarely where there will be massive recruitment, massive training in all ranks and opportunities we could only dream about a few years ago.

I firmly believe I will be back in a window seat within short order and have seniority for a 737 command within 5 years.

I reckon new joiners now will probably spend less than 5 years as an S/O if they take their first F/O opportunity. I reckon the 737 fleet will be decimated by the arrival of the 787 so the 737 slots will go very junior. Like all waves though, it's the guys that get in first that get the best ride. Get on late, and languish.

Sorry about the thread drift, but if you learn lessons from history you'll know that Qantas are the real employer of choice, despite Virgin's assertions to the contrary. You will also know that when Qantas recruits in large numbers, like it has in the past, and is about to do again, it drives the whole recruiting process of Virgin, military, regionals and GA alike.

So chin up. Virgin may find very shortly that their hold files are rapidly diminishing as their candidates find a better offer.
I was recently at a workshop held by CASA for what will be Part 135 sector aircraft (small stuff) and all industry participants were fearing the next round of "gang busters" recruitment due to the decimation it will cause in their senior ranks such as chief pilots, head of check & training and the like. There was also some comments around the table that some felt that it wasn't too far off either.

If it happens then good fortune IsDon, I reckon you deserve it after what you have had to put up with for the past several years.