PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real manual flying. Amazing 'interception'
Old 8th Nov 2015, 10:02
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
In almost all those videos, the tiny "vortices" from the end of the flaps are merely areas of local low pressure, hence the condensation/streamer.
Have you ever wondered what causes the areas of local low pressure? Do you think it might be by air being accelerated into a very tight votex?

The idea that the wingtip produces little or no vortex when the flaps are out is rubbish. Why do you reckon there are "monster" wake turb standards? Because of that little visual twister on the end of the flap?
At no point did I say that the wingtip produces little or no vortex, so you are correct that the idea is rubbish, but it's your idea not mine.

I said that "the biggest vortices come off the outside edge of the flap when slow and heavy" and I stand by that.

Watch this video again with particular attention to the approach from about 1:20 onwards. That approach has the "little visual twister on the end of the flap" plus it flies through cloud perfectly visualising where the "wingtip" vortices actually come from in landing config.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfY5ZQDzC5s

I did wonder if they actually were flying the A380 with more flap than required to deliberately shrink the wingtip vortices for the comfort of the jetpacks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tourist

Yes, they will flick you out

No, up and in. the flow goes from the bottom to the top.
Yes, I will grant you that, I phrased it poorly. I should have said it will spit him out of formation.

The concept of "oh well if the wing gets ripped off they'll just chute to the ground" is similarly ridiculous.
Why? You do realise that the entire jetpack thing involves many risks, yes? Compared to some of the things they have done, getting spat is not that big a deal.

I've been spat out before. Never been flicked right over, but run out of control authority many times.

Just like being in a small yacht is safer than a supertanker on a huge wave, they are better off being tiny....

Last edited by Tourist; 8th Nov 2015 at 11:03.