PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BREAKING NEWS: airliner missing within Egyptian FIR
Old 8th Nov 2015, 07:37
sardak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've reversed the sequence I was going to show these so that the "new" information is first. This is the aft end of N106US, the plane on US Air Flight 1549, Sullenberger's "Miracle on the Hudson," during the NTSB investigation. Point C is a point of reference through all photos. These are my annotations of a photo found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/patric...57623272797240

From the NTSB report "The tail cone was separated from the original attachment points except for the right hand side lower location and no longer retained its conical shape. The auxiliary power unit (APU) was still attached to the remaining structure of the tail cone. "The lower third of the aft pressure bulkhead was sheared away." This is a photo taken from part of the NTSB report Document 43 ATC 3B - JFK and EWR Radar Files Filing Date March 19, 2009 0 page(s) of Data Photos

All of the struts and cross bracing shown in this picture are flight structural members and not just for support during assembly. Some of these are missing from the second photo of Flight 1549 and all of the lower ones have yet to be seen in the Metrojet crash photos.

This is the same aft frame #77 as above on the crash we're discussing. There has been some discussion that the spindly structure left of point A could be part of the THS control assembly. It might be part of the mechanical cable system for the rudder and horizontal trim, as something like this can be seen in the first picture near the THS controller.
The fittings from the next section aft, the tail cone with APU, are still attached to points A and B here and in the photo from Flight 1549.

Frame #77 is at the curved aft end of this section so the light area next to point B in the previous photo is this skin. The flight recorder notice is a reference point back to the other photos.