PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 7th Nov 2015, 23:01
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
I have read it SID and it is an irrelevance given the that the pumps supplying the tanks were OFF and the pilot acknowledged, and cancelled, multiple backstop low fuel warnings continuing to accept tasking as if nothing was wrong. Knowledge of that fuel system had to be lacking to operate down to less than 80 kegs total with tranferumps selected OFF.

I Have a fair few police hours myself back in the days when we were tasked none stop, just before and after FLIR was introduced. No NVGs in unstabilsed AS355s and BO105s. Fuel management has not just been invented. It's always been priority number 1.

What tries my patience with this thread is the underlying tone that the machine let that guy down when the AAIB reports concludes the most likely scenario was fuel in the wrong tank and many many warnings, sounds and lights telling that story.

I do not want to be unkind to the parties involved but ignoring the facts and therefore the conclusions in this case just hides the underlying message.

Sid you keep presenting cryptic half baked clues as if you are the font of some well of untold knowledge. Well stop it because the report is out. We are all able to draw inference from its conclusions without any more smoke and mirrors.

Learn what you can and a good start is measuring the fuel you put in each time and start the damn stopwatch just like the rest of us do when chugging down those last few kgs of fuel at the end of the flight.

Now Sid spit out whatever cryptic clues you have or stop chastising those who accept at face value what happened.

Finally Sid, working out you minimum fuel based on "Loiter" burn is for fools. Long long time back I worked out that if I ever ended up having to use that fuel I most probably would not really be wanting to slow Down. I take, and preserve, a very healthy MLA that is a personal limit and is absolutely nowhere near the legally required minimums.

MLA is a limit. Not a target! I have not met a single sensible pilot who does not take a bit for the wife and kids and never met one, who when approaching the MLA is not gripped with a sense of urgency and care over where that fuel is in the tank system.

So Sid bleating on about the calculation of MLA is totally lost on me. I would never plan a flight in full knowledge that only MLA would be left at the end. The simple law of averages dictate that 50% of the time you would land below the MLA.

Last edited by DOUBLE BOGEY; 7th Nov 2015 at 23:11.