PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beware flying LL over glassy sea
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2015, 22:53
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Another classic situation where it shows that if you want to be as safe a pilot as possible, you should never stop reading up on the activity. Accident reports, safety stories in magazines, etc.
You make an excellent point re never stop reading safety stories wherever you can find them.

Now that we have the internet there is no shortage of flight safety information. On the other side of the coin I have been disappointed at the absence of interest among flying instructors in passing on to their students the importance of reading flight safety material as a matter of professional development. This applies to airline pilots as well as commercial and private pilots. The importance of catching them young as students pilots is so important.

Several years ago a local air museum culled their library of years of flight safety magazines. I took away several bundles and gave them to local flying schools. I went back to these schools a few months later and saw these precious magazines still in a corner gathering dust with their tie ribbon still in place and the magazines obviously un-read.

Disillusioned, I rescued these magazines and took them home and now hand selected stories at each briefing of my flight simulator students who seemed happy to have them. I have been doing that for many years.