PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF KHORMAKSAR
Thread: RAF KHORMAKSAR
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2015, 22:37
DeanoP

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tarshyne

JW411
Thanks for the lovely pictures of Tarshyne.

I was at there in 1962/3 and when not flying would go on my air-conditioned Lambretta scooter to Tarshyne. For me it was wonderful to 'cool off' in the sea and meet my girlfriend there. Very evocative.
The shark net was taken out in the summer to prevent damage from the waves. When the waves were surfable I would spend hours trying to catch suitable waves from about 50 yds out along with 3 or 4 others. We saw fins once, they turned out to be dolphins, but it was a rapid swim towards the shore and involved a change of trunks. We were soon back in, working on the totally unproven theory that sharks don't like to swim in the surf, of course forgetting that our legs were dangling in the clear water beyond. In retrospect, it was a stupid thing to do and we were lucky to get away with it.
My only problem was wading out to sea and when at chest height, walked in to a Portuguese `Man of War. Intense pain, I could not see from the shock, and so put my back to the waves and headed for the shore and the hospital. The pain soon wore off, but I can see how different it could have been 50 yds further out.

Last edited by DeanoP; 7th Nov 2015 at 23:19.