PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naughty, naughty! Helicopter pilot's bridge stunt
Old 4th Jul 2003, 04:42
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KOS:

I do not think that anyone really supports the guy with the bridge, but rather the notion to let him get away with a blue eye.

Taking his license (which in the view of MARS would likely not happen anyway...) would not do any good either as this pilot would be out. Period.

With a blue eye (and be it just all the attention he gathers with the fear of possible finacial or legal retaliation), he hopefully getīs the message that his action did nothing to further General Aviation and hopefully he will prevent others from doing similar attention getting actions by mentioning his example.

The FAA regulations 91.119 are great as long as the pilot is consious about when and where he uses this privilege over fixed wing aircraft. Generally when I get the chance to fly with US-pilots they are amazed with the seriousness Rules are followed in Panama, at least near Citys.
It is one way to keep them from getting anymore restrictive...
I do not think they turn a blind eye on the ICAO specs, but give the pilot the freedom to use his machine according to his skills.

The safety of persons and property is covered in a different part of the law:

FAA-§91.13 Careless or reckless operation.

(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Aircraft operations other than for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft, other than for the purpose of air navigation, on any part of the surface of an airport used by aircraft for air commerce (including areas used by those aircraft for receiving or discharging persons or cargo), in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

Unfortunately with the freedom to decide there is always the danger of abuse....

3top

Last edited by 3top; 4th Jul 2003 at 05:03.