PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 7th Nov 2015, 12:14
DeanoP

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Brian 48nav
Nice to see you at the last 48Sqn reunion. Amazing number of attendees for a long defunct squadron. Possibly a sqn with a lot of shared happy memories. I certainly loved the Far East flying- every trip was an adventure.
Do you remember this island overflown on LLXC East coast of Malaya. Looking at Google Earth, I think I have identified it as 'Pulau Seri Buat' (N2.67538 E103.91353)

Regarding nav eqpt on ferry flights: Apart from Astro there were no long range nav aids, as you say Loran A/C was fitted later. The return legs were relatively short as well and no worries about staying on track in those days. Legs were Marietta to Bermuda, Lajes and Cambridge. I believe the first flight went direct from Bermuda to Cambridge at night- Nav was Dolly Gray who instructed at Thorney Isle on Herc 'A' flight, so astro was his main aid. As for the other eqpt-VOR/DME/TACAN/ADF &E290 radar. Luckily the Doppler eqpt, being new, was quite good. Decca rolling map display, again fitted later, was a wast of space with very distorted maps and lots of map changes.

Last edited by DeanoP; 5th Nov 2020 at 16:25. Reason: Reinserted images deleted by Photobucket