PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real-time Data Recording System (RDRS)
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2015, 08:03
Filler Dent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmm, nice idea but I'm sorry to say that,

a. the manufacturers are already onto similar automatic data download systems. ie. WQAR that uses 3G networks, and there are wireless network systems as well. Also using the ACARS system, auto reports are generated and sent via, SATCOM, HF or VHF already if specified parameters or faults are generated.

b. You are confusing the roles of the QAR, FDR and CVR. The information from systems is collected from the data busses by a device like the FDIMU, which then passes the info on respectively. The FDR and CVR are designed to withstand a crash, but the QAR isn't. It's role is for trend analysis and fault isolation.

c. If the airplane is "lifeless", that would suggest no electrical power. I'm not fully conversant with all of my avionics colleagues boxes full of smoke, but SATCOM needs a clear signal to the satellite and electrical power to steer the signal/antenna and power all the boxes like the amplifier and beam steering unit.

Sorry, nice idea but you have to remember that aircraft systems tend to lag a long way behind general technology steps, just because they have to decide on agreed standards. By the time this is done, technology in the normal world is three generations further on.

Last edited by Filler Dent; 7th Nov 2015 at 09:01.