PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR rumours.
Thread: SDSR rumours.
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2015, 06:44
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
The RAF is getting smaller but is trying to behave like it did in the 1980's, IMHO it shot it's self in the foot in SDSR 2010 by keeping too many FJ Sqns and taking too many hits in other areas (I know we lost a fair few FJs). I don't think the whole Force structure looked relevant for future Ops, I think this was proved by the subsequent loss of a couple more Sqns after SDSR as we still looked fat. For example many of our neighbors had already bitten the bullet and done this by halving (or more) their FJ fleets and making sure they were efficient and capable (Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium) also by mixing them with SAM systems, etc. while we persisted with the Battle of Britain concept.
No NATO air arm has decommissioned its 'FJ' fleet to the same degree or as quick as the RAF has, apart from the RN and Marineflieger.

Belgium has cut from eight squadrons to four, they have a population of approximately 10 million

We have cut from 30 squadrons (37 if you want to include the OCUs!) to eight squadrons. Now, you work out the sums and tell me who has been the more ruthless in decimating its raison detre for existing, for the FJs, as they simply referred are the principal means of delivering ardnance in just about every way. Further, there is no way that the RAF today acts the way it did in the 1980s, on far to many subjects! Oh we had a maritime fleet of 35 Nimrods back in the day as well, all for ASW, nothing more, another three for elint at Wyton.
If the RAF lose any more FJ squadrons then it may as well be subsumed into the Navy and Army as it can barely justify its independence in a country the size and output of the UK and with the size of the other two services such as they are. RAF manning used to be nearly a third greater than that of the senior service, today they are virtually comparable, the RAF use to stand at slightly more than 50% of the the Army's total strength, today its slightly more than a third and this is after the much hugh and cried cuts to the army's strength. Just observations made in my spare time. By the way, the transport and rotary fleets have maintained numbers quite well and istar, I'm sure is vital, has gone from strength to strength.

FB

FB