PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2015, 06:40
Random Bloke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about it I am convinced the question is not 'should' the RAF step in? But 'could' the RAF step in? After many defence reviews, options for change, front line first and any other euphemisms for 'cuts' the RAF is a shadow of what it was even 15 years ago. There are not enough engineers to man the front line let alone anything else because the Service has been forced to contractorise so much Unfortunately the public do not see the issues through the political smoke and mirrors; every time savings are required the Red Arrows are offered but successive Prime Ministers have refused to take that saving because so long as the Red Arrows can thrill crowds at air shows, the general public are hoodwinked into believing that everything is rosy.

So, a serious question to all the armchair pundits: What do you want the RAF to stop doing in order to get the air cadets back in the sky? Air defence of the U.K.? Support to worldwide operations? Cease support helicopter operations? Cease basic engineer training? Perhaps we could ground the ISTAR fleets?

I am not being melodramatic, just reflecting reality. Who should fix the problem? The people who created it in the first place and at their own expense, then the civil servants in the project team who let it happen should be held to account - sorry I forgot; civil servants cannot be held to account.