PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can automated systems deal with unique events?
Old 7th Nov 2015, 05:07
metadalek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we agree

I think you are missing the point in that if we go to autonomous aircraft all that happens is that the safety risk shifts from one risk to another.
The above is obviously true. But shifting a risk from a high one to a lower one is a good thing.

Can autonomous aircraft beat that fatality rate?
And as I said, almost certainly. But thats an opinion, not a fact.

Can they do it cheaper than pilots do now?
If they can do it at all, they can certainly do it cheaper. I would bet my house on this one.

If you look at the accident rate of Western Airlines you will find the accident rate is ludicrously low and the fatality rate is even lower.
Not relevant unless the accident fatality rate is zero and the cost is zero. We are looking for improvement in all things.

As for regulation, the people making the rules are not idiots, and its a mistake to think they are. They will change regulations as soon as they are convinced it produces the outcomes they desire.

As for the public, people adapt amazing quickly. There will always be some who resist, but I suspect most people simply do not care. I certainly don't.