PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BREAKING NEWS: airliner missing within Egyptian FIR
Old 7th Nov 2015, 01:32
YetAnotherLurkingSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
translation notes

papershuffler has the gist of it

criblés d'impacts allant de l'intérieur vers l'extérieur de l'appareil
"riddled by impacts passing from the interior of the plane to the exterior"

Le Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR), l'une des boîtes noires, ne demande pas d'interprétation compliquée lors de la lecture, si ce n'est la traduction de propos en langue étrangère.
"The CVR, one of the black boxes, does not call for any complex interpretation other than the translation of comments in foreign languages. It is just a tape recorder that records conversations and sounds in the cockpit. It reveals that an explosion occurred. Its devastating effects cut off the electrical power of the aircraft which allows, inter alia, the recording of data in the black boxes".

[I'm a translator with minimal relevant technical knowledge beyond what I pick up reading here, but even I can tell bad journalese when I see it]

NB that the French "brutal" is weaker than the English homonym - means little more than "abrupt" here

Une analyse fine au 1/100e de seconde des arrêts de ces capteurs permettrait de préciser la position dans l'avion de l'engin explosif.
"Analysis down to the nearest 1/100th of a second of the times these sensors failed would make it possible to identify the precise location of the explosive device in the aircraft."

[is that plausible? Presumably less likely if the event severed the connection to the FDR itself?]