PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2015, 23:00
biscuit74

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks A&C. I do understand what you are saying, however the main point in my comments was that the notional leaders here have demonstrated total lack of management capability. If you appoint contractors, first you make sure they are competent before your sign the contract - due diligence - and then you monitor and oversee performance as required (using competent people with suitable authority and experience)to ensure standards set are indeed met. That process can relax later if all is well, once capability and operation assured and proven.

In this case it appears MoD civil servants failed in some respects- nothing new there, sadly - however the RAF is the customer and supposedly knows enough to define what is required. The 'Project Team' may also have dropped a clanger, though I feel there is excessive slopey shouldering being allowed, even on here. If you don't think the documents (the ADS or whatever) set the standard you require, then you get them sorted BEFORE you accept the ruddy aeroplanes, not years later. Arguably that is part of the management task, right up front. Possibly poor task setting and responsibility definition - maybe no-one thought that was part of his/her responsibility?

'Random Bloke' - should the RAF step in? They should have been there long since ! My sceptical engineer's view is it is far too late for that, at least using the existing command arrangements; the RAF seems to me to have demonstrated a lack of ability to manage this folly in any sense, which is very disappointing.

Ah well; useful lessons, though it doesn't sound much as if anyone involved directly is interested in learning any. A great shame that such an excellent, effective and enjoyable way to enthuse youngsters about flying and the RAF has been all but lost. Very sad.

DC10 - I think we all know where that should leave them...

Last edited by biscuit74; 6th Nov 2015 at 23:11.