PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BREAKING NEWS: airliner missing within Egyptian FIR
Old 6th Nov 2015, 20:48
KaptinK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Implausible

Respectfully, because I am not a professional pilot or even a private pilot (yet) but I reckon to know more about aviation, and take more of an interest, than the average joe; my first post and hopefully not last.

ILS27LEFT: I had a quick look on YT and could only find one video, which appears to be the same as I watched the other day. It shows a dirty great missile - though not actually being fired. It also appears to show smoke from the tail of the aircraft struck; are missiles not heat-seeking and therefore more likely to strike an engine? Or proximity exploding and therefore not likely to create a single impact point right at the tail as appears to be the case here? And why would black smoke emerge from the tail of an airliner anyway? And would a missile that size not in any case inflict considerably more damage than a) the video shows and b) is evidenced by the wreckage? (I also read in an earlier post about light being on the wrong side, but I have to say I can't tell. And where are the con trails pre-strike?)

Given these observations and the lack of any missile launch/flight trail observed by IR satellites and the fact that IS in that area are not believed to have the tech, the SAM idea has to be a non-starter. Which immediately rubbishes the video I found - though admittedly I don't know its source - which implies a connection between said dirty great missile and the downing of an aircraft.

So, discounting a SAM, as I think is consensus anyway, the other option is a bomb. Seems to me there are three ways to detonate it:
a. pressure/altitude
b. timer
c. remote from the ground.

Now, in order to film this event the camera would have to be extremely close to the flight path.

For a. they'd have had to be directly under the aircraft just as the nominated altitude was reached, possibly needing to know QNH at that point? Implausible.
For b. they'd have had to be directly under the aircraft just as the timer reached its appointed moment. Implausible, given the unpredictability of actual departure time, weather and winds, routing, etc.
For c. they'd have had to be directly under the flight path (how hard is this to predict within a margin of 2-3 miles? I don't know but I'd imagine quite tricky) and known which flight was overhead and had the technology to detonate the bomb remotely from about 6 or 7 miles, which, again, I've read elsewhere is not necessarily easy. For mine, also implausible.

Alternatively, there was a whole network of IS cameramen with remote detonators stationed all over the desert, waiting... Naaah; implausible.

IMHO this video cannot be of the downed Metrojet because of the implausibility of actually being in place to film it at exactly the right moment. Yet they haven't disowned it, or even stopped it being released as they surely would have done if they had indeed brought it down with a bomb but NOT filmed it and if, as they say, they will release 'how we did it' later. Seems to me IS actually had nothing to do with it. I'm still on the side, supported by the evidence in the wreckage, of some sort of mechanical or structural problem.

Or what am I missing?

And condolences to those who lost family and friends in the tragedy. I hope those on board didn't suffer.