PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR rumours.
Thread: SDSR rumours.
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2015, 20:33
Ivan Rogov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RAF is getting smaller but is trying to behave like it did in the 1980's, IMHO it shot it's self in the foot in SDSR 2010 by keeping too many FJ Sqns and taking too many hits in other areas (I know we lost a fair few FJs). I don't think the whole Force structure looked relevant for future Ops, I think this was proved by the subsequent loss of a couple more Sqns after SDSR as we still looked fat. For example many of our neighbors had already bitten the bullet and done this by halving (or more) their FJ fleets and making sure they were efficient and capable (Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium) also by mixing them with SAM systems, etc. while we persisted with the Battle of Britain concept.
As for Sqn number plates, we are only fooling ourselves by trying to prop up so many on inappropriately on none FL units, if we only put them on FL units we could demonstrate how much we have shrunk and it might be help the public understand what they have e.g: in 1990 we had 50? now we have 15? much like the RN do with ship numbers.
The rivalry of Sqn numbers is becoming corrosive and distracting us from what is important. It's time to try something new, perhaps rotate them every 2 or 3 years (Maybe tie with the new CO?), that would provide good PR opportunities, provide potential confusion to Foreign Int Services on force structure and personnel, chance to clear out dead wood, prevent rivalries becoming damaging and distracting, allow more history to be revisited/discovered, etc.