PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qualified, with no-where to go - Last call for my career
Old 6th Nov 2015, 17:56
Dsjamieson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qualified, with no-where to go - Last call for my career

Hi,

I am sure this is an echo of an age old thread where someone comes on here to ask for information about pilot careers etc etc.
For me this is a little different, I am using this to get a gauge of peoples opinions of where is should go next. Whilst I would normally take opinions of strangers with a pinch of salt, I think I can find comfort in knowing that the people who are going to be replying to this are mostly well informed. More informed than your average civilian with not much know how in the Aviation world.
Not only that, pilots talking to pilots are all friends right?

Anyway my situation goes:
- CPL ME/IR MCC/JOC (JAR licence - Not got a new one yet.. See below)
- 215 Hours total time
- Last flew 21/08/2011 for my 2nd CPL/IR renewal

After my initial over 6 years ago i started to figure that the downturn in the economy was going to bite hard. I did two renewals. Realised i would be better off trying to save up. So i let it lapse to try and pick up something in the future.

I moved away to Austria to become a resort manager for a tour company thinking i might have a back-route in to the companys airline. WRONG.

Still in Austria sat in on a Friday night knowing now that money i threw at chasing my dream was not going to be enough. I have about £5000 to my name (No debt) and i'm 30 in June 2016. Hindsight eh?
I realise i might be better off than some but i'm trying to be realistic.

I have searched around for work, type ratings but just do not have the funds to throw more money at what seems to be a huge gamble.
My licence is still lapsed along with my medical.

Basically what i'm asking for here is, opinions. Dream over? Too old? Still a chance with another £100,000? Flying instructor? Left it too long? Opportunity somewhere? Sell my licence back to the CAA for the £90,000 i spent?
I am actually tired of trying to give myself answers and hope and I feel like the reality of this is it is over for me unless i stumble on a suitcase full of €500 notes i should just look for another career.

Again, I just need realistic opinions and/or options on my situation. Doesn't matter how brutal they are as i think i have already resigned to using my Blue CPL licence as an expensive paperweight.

I would really appreciate some thoughts and I thank you in advance for your time.

Kindest regards and safe flying,
David